The City of Hobart is one of Lake County's oldest communities, once home to the Pottawatomie Indians. Englishman George Earle, who had invested heavily in Lake County land, was attempting to establish the town of Liverpool at the junction of the Calumet and Deep Rivers. Liverpool did not prove viable and in 1845 Earle moved five miles up Deep River and constructed a dam to power sawmills and gristmills. The resulting millpond became known as Lake George. Earle moved the post office from Liverpool in 1847 and recorded the plat for the new town in 1849, naming it for his brother, Frederick Hobart Earle, of England.Hobart's population according to the 2010 Census was 29,059. Located 38 miles from Chicago and 150 miles north of Indianapolis, the 26 square miles of Hobart continues to thrive with retail corridors, light industry, great schools, a downtown district on the banks of Lake George and residents and visitors enjoying a quality of life surely envisioned by George Earle.
For more information on Hobart: